Friday 11 July 2008

What is a N.I.P.P.L.E.?

I was first described as a Nipple in my first permanent (well at least open ended temp) job in Edinburgh. I'd had managed up to this point lived, studied and worked for 8 years in London and not come across the term, before a few years back home then moving here to Scotland.

It was possibly even on my first day there that one of my colleagues exclaimed, "Your a Nipple then!". I was still getting used to the accent, similar, yet strange and wasn't quite sure I'd understood right. So asked for repetition. Then still not sure I'd heard right looked blank and got the following explanation:

Northern Irish (Professional) Person Living Elsewhere/in Exile.


With the penny finally dropping I nodded my ascent and started my second stint as a Nipple and entered the world of Nippledom. Over the years I have come across some interesting cultural lessons of just what a N.I.P.P.L.E. can encounter, expect and face in their life over the Irish Sea or maybe even further afield.

That is what this blog is going to be about. My insights, humorous anecdotes of fifteen years living away from Northern Ireland in and near two of the other capitals of the UK London and Edinburgh. I hope you enjoy them.

No comments: